(Barwon Heads Park), Ewing Blyth Drive
The Boot Room was constructed for the Public Works Department in 1888-89, at the time of the extension of the first jetty. The building appears to have been a river punt waiting room until the construction of the Barwon Heads bridge. in the mid 1920s, when it was relocated to the bridge site and used as a service building. After the completion of the bridge, it was returned to the jetty where it was used as a dinghy and other gear store by the commercial fishermen from 1936. At that time, it was positioned opposite its current location (to the north), being oriented on a north-south axis (and not east- west as it is currently situated). It also had a verandah projecting from its southern facade.
In the late 1930s and early 1940s, the fish was stacked under the verandah until it was collected by Jack Jennings who carted it to the railway in Geelong.
The small, single storey, horizontal weatherboard, Victorian vernacular styled Boot Room is characterised by a simple gable roof form. A fixed, early timber framed nine-light window is situated on the western gable end, and has a decorative moulded timber architrave. An early beaded timber door with timber frame is located on the north facade.
Back to Map