Bluestone Retaining Wall
The unpainted bluestone retaining wall with a rounded concrete capping is situated on the west bank of the Barwon River, between the Ozone Road jetty to the north and beyond the jetties and former Fishermens' Co-operative sheds to the south.
Construction of the first 100 feet'of the bluestone retaining wall near the Ozone Road jetty was completed in 1953 by the Public Works Department. The stone for the wall came from the Old Wilson Hall at the University of Melbourne and the work cost £900.
In 1964-65, a further 750 feet of wall was built, again by the Public Works Department, at a cost of $22,000. The final 600 feet stretch of wall beyond the Barwon Heads jetties was carried out in 1966-67 at a cost of $34,000. For this stretch of wall, the Public Works Department used stone from the former Connewarre State School.
Back to Map