Corner Store, 1 Flinders Parade
|The asymmetrical, single storey, painted brick interwar Commercial styled corner store was built for George Golightly in 1934-35.|
It is characterised by two hipped roofs clad in terra cotta tiles. Wide overhangs and exposed rafters are features of the eaves. The altered, early timber framed windows on the east and south facades have highlights, with the windows on the south facade having original leadlighting. The front panelled timber doors, located on the chamfered corner and on a diagonal axis, may also be early. Early decorative features of the design include the substantial corner timber eaves brackets and the terra cotta ridge ornamentation, that provides a Federation styled character to the design.
|View of the river showing a tent on the sit of the store circa 1930|
|Mr George Golightly owner of the the hotel on the opposite corner|
Back to Map