Geelong Aero Club
The history of the Club
The Geelong Aero and Gliding Club first
formed in 1914 on the Belmont Common, and is believed to be the oldest Aero
During the 1920s and 30s many famous aviators such as Captain Bert Hinkler, Amy Johnson and Charles Kingsford-Smith visited Geelong and Belmont Common, the latter providing joy flights for many locals.
The Club finally folded sometime in the 1930s
and it was not until after WWII that the Club reformed. Wing Commander John
Meehan formed the new Club at the Belmont Common in 1946-48. The Club’s
first aircraft were a Ryan Trainer and two De Havilland Tiger Moths. Many
The Belmont Common was still used as an airfield on a small scale until the mid 1960s when building development in the area put an end to its operational viability.
The re-birth of the Club in 1978 was at
Connewarre on a site then known as “Polley’s Paddock” or “Polley’s Field”,
but now known as
The work is on-going as finances permit, and
the membership, while not as high as it originally was, is still a healthy
70-80. The Club caters for pilots, aircraft owners and aviation enthusiasts
in the Greater Geelong region and beyond. In February 2005 the Club was host
to “The Great Air Rally 2005” and a large number of aircraft of various
types flew in for an evening dinner and overnight stop. GAC has also
participated in the International Avalon Airshow held every two years. The
Club also organises “Fly Away Weekends” to such places as Echuca, Temora and
Over the last four years Club activities have centered on the construction of a Club Hangar at Barwon Heads and the rebuilding of a Skyfox aircraft. The intention is that upon its return to airworthiness the Skyfox will be sold to enable the purchase of a Club owned modern aircraft. The hangar will be rented out until a Club aircraft is purchased when it will house the Club’s aircraft. The hangar is now complete and the story of its construction is on the Club website.
If aviation is your passion and interest we welcome your membership and company.